Sunday, August 26, 2012

Eden and Acadia: Vacation Heaven

Maine's majestic coast and superior forest do indeed prove to be one of the Earth's greatest treasures. Let's face it, sometimes the things physically close to you are overlooked regardless of how remarkable they may be.

This summer, Joe and I decided we were past due on a trip to Bar Harbor. We stayed one night but really needed at least three to take in the magnificence of Acadia National Park. 

Tuesday morning, when my jarring iPhone alarm went off at 5:30am we managed to pack up the remainder of things, hop in the car and drive to the top of Cadillac Mountain for sunsrise. The experience proved surreal for two reasons. First, the top of the mountain had a higher human to tree population at 5:55am than I had seen in the park the day before. Second, because most people were in pajama pants and sweatshirts, trying to hide heavy eyelids to their morning mountain comrades and were focused on looking over a cusp of the Earth. Camera and iPhone in hand of course.  



"Second star to the right, and straight on till morning" 


Sidenote: I just want to throw out a suggestion to the park to increase revenue. How great would a coffee stand at the top of Cadillac Mountain opened 10 minutes before sunrise be? I'm sure you could pay a college kid to run it. I'm not saying you need to offer Wi-Fi or anything and soft seating, but seriously, any coffee would be a hit with the tourists. You can call it the The Cadillac Mt. Caffeine Fix. Extra bonus for souvenir Cadillac cups. You're welcome. 

I highly recommend that if you do venture to Bar Harbor, force yourself to wake up early in the morning and see the sunrise. If I didn't know the origins of the novel Peter Pan, I would have taken the view of the lush tiny islands as a writers inspiration for a perfect Never Never Land. 

Anticipating there would be limited options in the vegan realm I stocked up on protein bars. To my surprise Joe said that he researched and actually found a vegan restaurant. I was ecstatic and rightfully so. It is the first FULL SERVICE ONLY VEGAN cuisine restaurant I have found in Maine that, in my opinion, is on par to other well-known restaurants in metro areas. 

I am disappointed there is not another in Portland.

The place is Eden and I had no idea the food would be great until we received our appetizers. Because I wasn't expecting to do a full review, I didn't take copious notes. However, here is a brief summary of the food we enjoyed. 

Bread: Baked lavosh strips

Appetizer
Beer Battered Pickled Jalapenos & Onion RingsHouse-Smoked Maple Barbecue Sauce, Creamy Herb & Garlic Aioli   $8

Entrees: 
Joe ordered…Singapore Noodles
Wok-Charred Cabbage, Broccoli, Onions, Carrots, local Fresh Tofu, & Rice Noodles,
Fresh Chili, Kefir Lime, & Lemongrass Yellow Curry

I ordered...Almond & Panko Crusted Soy Seitan Cutlets
Pan-Fried House-Made Soy Seitan Cutlets, Sauteed Greens,
Chilled Yukon Potato & Charred Leek Salad,
Dijon, Caper, & Dill Vinaigrette   

Dessert:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Pie. Yum.

Click here to visit their website. 

I would say pass on the martini, it was much too strong for my liking. The beer options were great. 

Bad lighting - but TOTAL vegan comfort food. Amazingly good!!



Definitely venture into Eden if you're in Bar Harbor. I plan to make it yearly ritual. There is also a small health foods grocery store so you should have a problem finding a plentiful amount of vegan-friendly fare. 

Thanks, 
Danie

2 comments:

  1. You might be eligible to get a free Apple iPhone 7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you need to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Get your ex back with TEXT messages?

    ReplyDelete