Sunday, June 10, 2012

Chunky cherry (vegan) granola





There is serene calmness at my house today. Much the way I feel when there is a meager wind across the lake during a summer afternoon.

I’m not sure if it’s the sunshine booming in through my kitchen, or the multiple plants that I purchased yesterday, but I am happy this morning. Living things in constructed space always seem to make me happier. 


Regardless, I had an intense yearning to put on my lovely polka dotted apron and craft something delicious.

On a side note, can I confess something? My life is always much more creative with music. For some reason the time seems to escape me when music is playing in the background. Not like when I’m watching TV and my brain is only concentrated on one screen, attention fixed. Alternatively, music allows me to go in and out of concentration and therefore allows my thoughts to run off on pathways that bring me to interesting observations. It’s a much more creative process. I think this is one the real benefits of Sunday mornings and why I love them so much.

So my music choice today? I decided to listen to Mumford & Sons while I composed the beginnings of the chunky granola recipe. Which brings about another confession…I honestly have never listened to the entire Mumford & Sons CD and I’m going to see them in August. They will be playing in Portland, Maine August 4th on the Eastern Prom and I GOT TICKETS! Woohoo! Have you seen the Gentlemen of the Road website? It’s actually a very cool design. Check it out.

Another thing I love about Sundays - no make up. Just sunshine and Lots'O'polka-dots.
I love when my boyfriend buys me flowers.
I mean, I picked them out and brought them to the register, but he paid. So technically he bought them for me. 10 points for Joe. :-)


So anyway, let’s get to the granola.

Granola isn’t granola to me unless it’s chunky granola. Chunky granola is where it’s at.

 2 Cups Rolled Oats
1/4 Cup  Garbanzo flour (high in fiber in protein!)
1/4 Cup  Flax meal 
2 Tablespoons Raw sliced almonds
1/4 Cup  Raw sunflower seeds
1/4 Cup Dried Bing cherries1/4 Cup  Light Agave
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
Vegan cane sugar to sprinkle on top if desired.

(Makes about 4 cups of granola)


Process


STEP 1: Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Place raw sunflower seeds and almonds on a cookie sheet. Toast until golden brown. About 10-15 minutes. 
STEP 2: While you're toasting the sunflower seeds and almonds, start to combine the dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl mix oats, flour, flax meal, and cherries. 
STEP 3: Take out the sunflower seeds and almonds from the oven and increase the heat to 350 degrees. Wait a few minutes for the sunflower seeds and almonds to cool. When done, combine with the dry mixture.
STEP 4: Now add the vanilla and the agave and stir until all portions of the mixture are consumed by the agave.

STEP 5. Take the mixture and place into a greased pan. I would recommend greasing the pan with coconut oil, but use what works best for you. Spread the mixture about 2-3 centimeters thick and press down with a wooden spoon until flat. 

SIDE NOTE: I prefer using smaller pans because they crisp the edges, and therefore increase the chance of chuck. However, if you want to use a larger pan OR a smaller bite size muffin pan or other cookie bar pan feel free. Just make sure you adjust the cook time for the appropriate pan. 

STEP 6: Sprinkle vegan cane sugar across the top if desired. Place pans into the oven (at the 350 temp) and cook for 20 minutes or until the granola is golden brown. When finished, let cool and shuffle into a storage container or your breakfast bowl/sandwich bag. 



I hope you enjoy the rest of this Sunday! I'm going to go wander to the art store and continue searching for a decorative clock for my kitchen. 

Thanks,
Danie 

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually kill fat by consuming Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from major medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete