Monday, May 28, 2012

The WIML post: Literacy, clay shooting, zip-lines and more


There were multiple points during last week where I was thinking, “What is my life?!”, which for those of you who don’t know me can be interpreted as “How did I get myself into this?” and/or “Why is this happening?” No, but seriously, the week was a bit hectic.

Below is the “WIML?!” sequence. Let’s begin.

WIML#1: Veep for literacy no more (Monday)
My time on the Board of Literacy Volunteers of Greater Saco-Biddeford sadly ended on Monday. I have been on the board for 4 years and I will miss the people and the cause. The last meeting was a weird feeling. I am essentially giving up something that I have grown attached to over time. Something I never realized I cared that much about until I said goodbye.

It was time for me to spread my wings and move on. I always find it sad to leave something that I care deeply about. But I will leave the importance of literacy and volunteering for another post, on another day.

I did bring vegan cookies to the meeting as a peace offering. They were Liz Lovely Ginger Snap Dragons, Cowgirl and Cowboy cookies. I think I'm tied for a favorite between the ginger cookies and the oatmeal walnut chocolate goodness. 

Have you tried them? They are so good. The calories are not so good, nor is the sugar. But the taste is good. Try them for the taste.

Ginger Snaps. Yum
Photo credit: Liz Lovely

WIML#2: Clay sport shooting and guns (Wednesday)
Clay Sport Shooting. Let me make something clear. I live in Maine, but I have never shot a gun in my life. I have never held a gun. I was never even allowed to own a toy gun unless it was a Super Soaker.

Some people are really comfortable around guns. I am not one of those people.

My body seems to have a nervous physical reaction when I hear the word “gun” and my mind reels something similar to,  Don’t get that thing near me. Oh my god, oh my god.

So when one of my favorite co-workers decided she wanted to go to LL Bean for clay sport shooing as her last hurrah at the office, I decided not to think about it. I actually made a conscious effort not to think about it all until we were literally driving into the shooting range in Freeport, Maine.

We parked in the sandy lot and walked over to the tent to hear a very long list of safety rules from our instructors. One was a Maine Guide, the other was a retired Marine. They were both very sweet and brought us through how to hold a gun, load a gun, and particular safety things that I never thought I would be learning.

Oh my god, oh my god.

Me and my 80's sunglasses sport claying it with help from the instructor. 

The big question is, Is it really right for a vegan to be shooting a gun? Here is my take, I don’t like guns and I probably never will. But they are machines just like everything else and we were shooting at clay – so why not? If we were shooting at actual living things, I would have definitely not taken part of any portion of the activity – AT ALL.

After the experience I’m glad I did it. Why? Not because my right shoulder and arm are bruised from the kick-back or because I’m ever going to be comfortable being in the vicinity of guns. Or because I now know what the whole “report” “simo” terminology is. Or even because I actually had the best score from my team. (I think it was beginners luck, but leave it to the vegan...WIML?!)

I’m happy I did it because it reaffirms my belief that only certain people should EVER be allowed to carry guns, ever. 

It did make me have an appreciation for people who can actually hold a gun, as they are heavier than what you might expect. My arms are going to hurt for like the next week. To make it even more humiliating, the super sweet instructors told me at the end of the afternoon that the gun I was actually using a “youth” gun.

Luckily my day job doesn’t involve guns.

WIML #3: Annual shareholders meeting (Thursday)
When you’re a “spring chicken” like me. And you work at a company where the shareholders meeting is conducted by people, mostly men, who are at least 15-20 years older than you. You realize that they tend to reference “times” that you don’t know about.

It’s not your fault. You don’t remember the times in reference because you weren’t born yet or you were just too small to care about anything other than the songs to Beauty and The Beast.

Don’t get me wrong. I want the company I work for to be run by people with experience and expertise in conducting big business.

It’s just a very surreal (WIML?!) moment where you realize you are in a room with some of the most powerful people in your business world and you’re one of the only people under 30. And that despite the business suit and expensive necklace you wore for this meeting, you were most likely the only person listening to Jay-Z on the way into work.

Notice the generation gap.


WIML#4: Zip-line fun (Saturday)
About a month ago I received an invite to a bridal party and bachelorette outing for my friend Allie. In classic Danie style I emailed my RSVP back to the matron of honor and marked my calendar, then raced off to my next work assignment. All the time thinking I just signed myself up for a cute luncheon and a potential ropes course. 

Climbing up trees and shimmying along ropes, really, how hard could this be?

So a few weeks later when I received an email stating that I would need to sign a life waiver for this event, I was a little dumbstruck. A life waiver for a ropes course? 

Which was when I realized I didn’t sign myself up for ropes course, but ZIPPING along the rope. The longest “rope” in the continental US. Go team.

Instead of high heels, short dresses, and other crazy things that come along with bachlorette parties, we packed into a few cars and made it to New Hampshire.

Maine in the summertime = perfection.

I thought the zip-line was fun and not nearly as scary as I had anticipated. I love rollercoasters and don’t really have a problem with heights, so it was actually an equable experience for me. The sky was clear and you could see the green mountains of New Hampshire for miles.

After everyone finished we had a sparkling cider toast and then headed back for a cookout. The bride-to-be was happy. And at the end of the day, that’s all the matters.

So speaking of happy. Is it wrong to take photos of the gifts you want at your friends bridal shower? Haha. Above is a 3 slot lasagna pan! PERFECT for people who have multiple eating preferences in one household. I thought all you vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, meat-eating families would enjoy this just as much as I did. 

Have a great Memorial Day!

Thanks, 
Danie


No comments:

Post a Comment