Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mary’s Walk, Vegan Zapoteca, Mo & More

Life is busy. Enjoy!

First, things are a changing. I can feel it. This morning when I woke up I viewed the Weather Channel iPhone app. The hourly forecast said 70 degrees. I was ecstatic. I practically jumped out of bed.

Then I realized it was Vegas. Las Vegas. Las Vegas, Nevada. Not Portland, Maine. 

I retreated immediately back to bed.

When I got up for good I finally threw on a light fleece, ear warmers, and running gloves. It was a perfect day to run in a road race. Joe, my Mom, Stepdad and I made up the group Nana's Dream Team. We walked to the KerryMan Pub in Saco and ran the 5K to Thornton Academy. Mary’s Walk is a road race to benefit the Maine Cancer Foundation. Visit the site: http://www.maryswalk.org/

Me: Oh 365, that's a pretty significant number.
Joe: Why? Because it the number of days in a year.
Me: That and it's the Whole Foods brand.

There are multiple things I love about road races. The endorphins, the free bananas, the silly wardrobes people wear, cheering from strangers. But one of my favorite things about road races is old people.

Old people are the best. Every single road race I’ve ever run in has had some old marathon looking man in all fluorescent garb jogging at a snail’s pace. The entire time he smiles and tells me that I’m “doing a great job”, “keep up the nice work”, “just around the corner and you’re home free”.

Really? Shouldn’t I be telling you this?

If I had the breath to answer back I would. But usually I just smile and keep running. They just seem so nice.

The only person that has ever trumped an old person in my running “career” (career used loosely here) was a very intimidating woman in New Jersey. It was my first road race and a half-marathon. It was raining. I was tired. I didn’t know the course. I didn’t really train. I had wayyyy to many clothes on. It was mile 12. My feet were inching toward the finish line and out of nowhere a woman on the curb started yelling like a drill sergeant. I thought she knew somebody, so I didn’t really react until I realized she was staring right at me.

 “Your body is going to tell you to stop, but your mind, your mind needs to tell you to just keep running!”

She sounded angry and soulful all at the same time. So I listened to her. I just kept going. And going. Until I reached the end. She really was my savior. It was a different approach from the old people, but effective just the same.

Second, Mo is the new addition to the Maine Beer Company line. Yay! I haven’t tried it yet, but it has been reported by a random taste-tester (Joe) that the pale ale is particularly hoppy. I just wanted to make vegans and all Maine Beer Company fans aware.



Third, I made it to Zapoteca in Portland, Maine this past Thursday for dinner. It was awesome. They have an entire Vegetarian and Vegan menu with about 5-6 different dishes. The best part is that you don’t have to call ahead. They just have the menu ready, all the time! It’s awesome.

I am going to recommend Zapoteca for the next business dinner. It’s hip, meaty, veggie, and filling. I will say that the atmosphere is a bit loud and I wish there were more art on the walls. The light fixtures were interesting, but the walls were literally blank. It just felt like for the type of full food being presented that the atmosphere would contain a bit more warmth.

Anyway, check it out if you’re looking for something new. Cheers.

Lastly, who knew The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo book was so amazing? Probably everyone. I know I’m behind on this trend. I purchased this book about 2 years ago and it has been lying dormant on my bookshelf waiting for a reader. So finally I have answered the call this weekend. The first part of the book I found hard to read. The plot lines seemed fragmented. After page 70 I was hooked. Reading is what I will be doing for the remainder of the evening to savor every last bit of Sunday.

But really, it's good.

Have a nice start to the workweek.

Thanks,
Danie

No comments:

Post a Comment