Thursday, January 19, 2012

Love it. Local Sprouts Cooperative…Portland, Maine

This post is so overdue I don’t even know how to explain my life.




Local Sprouts Cooperative
649 Congress St. Portland, ME 04101


Let’s begin. Local Sprouts Cooperative is probably one of the best places to eat in Portland if you’re looking for veggie, local, organic and utterly fulfilling meals. They serve food that is not only delicious but local (hence the name), which makes every Mainer feel good.

I truly appreciate the menu at Local Sprouts because it’s one of the only places where Joe and I can go out to eat and not feel like either one of us is going to compromise taste. He has plenty of meat options and I have plenty of vegan friendly goodness.

Local Sprouts is also home to Bomb Diggity Bakery, which supplies the Café with vegan and traditional treats. Check out their site for more information and to see their Vegan options. 

MY Experience
Rating: 4.75 of 5
One of the best things I love about Local Sprouts is that I could feel comfortable at any point of my day. It's the type of atmosphere where being chill is necessary, even on a Friday night. I can walk in with my work clothes, with my running clothes, with no make-up or baseball hat and the staff would still be congenial and willing to answer my questions.

Place your order at the counter and seat yourself. The employees will bring out the food when it's ready. The room can be packed at times, so finding a place to sit requires a little bit of strategy depending on the influx of people. They have tables that seat 2-6 people and a bar.

Live music also makes the atmosphere that much more enjoyable. Check out their calendar.  

My Food
Rating: 5 out of 5
Oh! The choices… Salads, soups, sides, sandwiches and more! Depending on the season they offer a variety of vegan choices. I’ll also let you in on a little secret, LC doesn’t skimp on the amount food they serve per plate. I have always received gracious portions and end up taking food home or saving it for later.

Appetizer
I had the small side salad, which was actually pretty big and most definitely tasty. Made mostly of leafy greens, it had a traditional salad ambiance.

Entree
Joe ordered a meat sandwich. He loved it. We actually realized that the last time he went there he ordered the same exact sandwich without realizing it. 

I enjoyed Sesame Tofu Stir-fry with seasonal vegetables over Rice. The meal was a lot of food, but tasted wonderful. For veggies it had carrots, broccoli, onions and much more (I can't even remember the diversity supplied in the dish). I would definitely order it again.

Dessert
I picked up a Bomb Diggity Vegan Whoopie Pie for the road, because let’s face it, when you find a good Vegan Whoopie Pie (which is basically never) you should buy it and eat it.

So that's exactly what I did.

Drinks
We both ordered a can of Baxter Brewing Co.'s Amber Road Beer. All of Baxter's Beer is listed on Barnivore as vegan, so feel free to enjoy! Yay!


My small salad. My full meal was the first picture!
Drinks.
Joe's sandwich the last time we went to Local sprouts. 
My tempeh sandwich when we went there before, with rice and veggies. Order your food and take it to go.

MY Logistics
Rating: 4.75 of 5
If you live near downtown Portland you may be able to walk. Local Sprouts is located between The Portland Museum of Art and Longfellow Square. Parking can be hard to find. Street parking is available if you’re lucky!

For a salad, a meat sandwich, a Sesame-tofu feast, two Amber-licious beers and a Whoopie Pie we paid about $35. We actually used a LivingSocial $10 Coupon and paid $25 - so that was a score.

Overall
Rating: 4.83 of 5
Local Sprouts is a great place to go for lunch or dinner if you’re looking for affordable and delicious vegan food. You’re also supporting Maine farmers, which I think is a great thing.

So, if you’re looking for a great to enjoy food, support a community-focused business and hear some live music, make sure you get to Local Sprouts!

Thanks, 
Danie

No comments:

Post a Comment