Sunday, August 28, 2011

Funssentials for the Storm



Alright, so the weather guy says after noon today the winds will pick and the rain will increase due to Irene. So, I put together a few "funssentials" for the evening. Who wants to be stuck in an apartment with nothing to do or eat? 


Here we go (In no particular order):

  1. Spinach: Good for stir-fry. Good for salad. Good for soup. It's practically the new (old) kale. 
  2. Dr. Praegers Veggie Burgers: These are my favorite vegan veggie burgers and are good for when you really don't want to eat spinach. Easy to make, easy to like. 
  3. Water: Because you should always have a thing of water on hand in case you really need it. Not really fun, but essential none the less. 
  4. Maine Hiking Book: To figure out which mountain you're going to convince your boyfriend or best friend to hike up once this rain stops.
  5. iPhone: For emergencies and strategizing on Words with Friends. I've won tickets to the last two Harry Potter shows via WWF matches. Don't underestimate the triple word score.
  6. An "I always wanted to read that" Book: I have about 50 of these, which are perfect for a day like this. Snuggle up with a good book next to your fireplace. 
  7. Yuletide Fireplace DVD: My friends and I use to put this on during college for our Christmas parties to dress up the dorm/apartment. Classy, I know. This awesome DVD can help you feel cozy without all the actual heat (since it's kind of humid and not the middle of winter). Perfect to read by the "fire".
  8. Your Favorite Movie: Because sometimes you don't feel like reading… My favorite movie = Moulin Rouge. Flashy, fun, love, distress and lots of pop culture songs sung on the top of an elephant. It's one of those movies you either love or you hate. Other movie suggestions in my "I will always love you" category (The Bodyguard doesn't make the list, shocking, I know...): The Royal Tenenbaums, Almost Famous, Gladiator, Big Fish, Love Actually, Edward Scissorhands, Beauty and the Beast and basically any Batman movie ever created. 
  9. Matches & Flashlights: In case the power goes out you will need light. I would also recommend that you know where your candles are. Seriously, what's the point of having matches without being able to safely light something. Be careful!
  10. Maine Peeper Ale & Princess Cards: If all else fails, you might need a vegan beer and a set of Disney Princess Cards. Both things don't require power and yield large amounts of fun. 

Just promise me one thing. I know that the weather team depends on your photos to help create "visuals" for the storm, but don't go outside if it gets really bad out so that you can take a picture of your pink flamingo lawn deco flying through your backyard. Seriously, safe = smart. And smart = sweatpants, flashlights, and securing all of your lawn furniture.


Good luck!


Thanks, 
Danie 

2 comments:

  1. hahah love it. The Art of Racing in the Rain is one of my favorite books!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the good old Yule log! I miss that! Wanna hike soon?

    ReplyDelete