Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sponsor in the Spotlight: Atlantic Chiropractic

I believe strongly that advertising at it's purest form is to help the end consumer become more informed about the products and services they purchase. I am happy to post the third VCL Sponsor in the Spotlight post by Atlantic Chiropractic.

Enjoy!

* * * 


Insight provided by Dr. Kathleen A. Norris, DC, CCH



1.Why and when did you become a chiropractor?
 My first visit to a chiropractor was in my mid 20s. I hurt my back chopping wood- what else do you do in rural Maine??? He examined me and said the sprain/strain of my back was the least of my problems. Over the next four years I worked with chiropractic and by the age of thirty was healthier than I had ever been!

I always thought I would go to medical school but had hesitated because of large philosophical differences between myself and medical school. In chiropractic, I found a system of medicine that made sense to me. A system that recognized the body’s innate ability to heal itself. A system that understood that the body and mind could not be separated from each other.


2. How did you become interested in homeopathy? 
After being in practice for 10 years I began looking around for additional tools to help my patients. It was while studying herbal medicine that I became fascinated with homeopathy. It was it’s ability to reach deep inside a person and heal that awed me.

Many people use the term “homeopathy” to refer to any system of medicine that uses herbal treatments or is holistic. While homeopathy is holistic and recognizes the connection between body and mind, it is actually a specific system of medicine that started in Europe over 200 years ago. Homeopathy utilizes minute amounts of natural substances to help correct underlying imbalances at the energetic level and bring a person and their condition into better health.






3. What are the benefits of homeopathy and how would a person incorporate it into their lives?
When used properly, homeopathy is safe for people of all ages to use. It can treat a wide variety of conditions from acute to chronic. Many simple, everyday conditions such as insect bites, stomach flu and colds can be treated at home with a little instruction and a “home kit” of homeopathic remedies. Serious, stubborn, deep and persistent problems need the training of a skilled homeopath to treat.

4. Is homeopathy vegetarian and vegan friendly?
60% of homeopathic remedies are made from plants. The rest are made from minerals, animals, fungi, bacteria and various other natural substances. The remedies made from animals are often made from a substance from that animal. For example, remedies from mammals are made from the milk of a lactating female. Remedies made from birds are made from a feather or blood sample. Snake remedies are made from venom. Reptile remedies are made from venom or blood samples. I’m afraid the poor insect kingdom doesn’t fair as well. Their remedies are most frequently made from the whole body of one dead animal. While that is tragic, enough remedy can be made from that one insect to supply the world’s homeopaths for decades. This is because such a small amount of the original substance is needed to make any remedy.  

Most remedies are made in a base of milk solids. If a person has dairy allergies or is Vegan there are other options. They just have to ask.

5. How long were you a vegetarian? Do you have any advice for vegans or vegetarians?
I was a vegetarian for 21 years. While I still eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds and grains, I have had to incorporate meat and seafood into my diet. I became allergic to many of my food sources- soy, eggs, dairy, peanuts and almonds. This was due in large part from eating the same small group of foods over and over with little variation.

My advice to vegetarians and vegans is to rotate your foods. Eat a wide variety. Don’t be afraid to supplement what you’re not getting enough of in your diet. Examples would be adding a supplemental source of calcium or B12 if your intake is low.



6. What is an initial appointment like for chiropractic and/or homeopathy?
The initial chiropractic visit is an hour long appointment. We go over your chief concerns and medical history and do a chiropractic exam. The chiropractic exam consists of postural analysis, various orthopedic tests, muscle testing and neurological examination.

The initial homeopathic visit is 1 ½ hours. During this visit we discuss your chief concerns and how they are affecting you.

7. How can you be reached to set up an appointment?
You can reach me at my office by phone: (207) 772-6411 or by e-mail: atchiro@maine.rr.com. I offer a free 15 minute appointment to discuss whether these modalities could help you. 

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.


No comments:

Post a Comment