Sunday, May 1, 2011

Vegan at Disney: Part 1

The Lone Vegan to Disney: Our Recognition Conference Begins!

Let’s begin with a little background on this whole thing.

I tend to work my fair share. I can take on projects and see them through. I help plan our media and work with internal and external business partners efficiently, effectively, etc. etc. Well somebody noticed and that’s how I ended up walking up in front of a large number of employees, located in multiple locations for a handshake, a balloon, and my Mickey Ears.

And No, I didn’t trip walking up to accept my award. Thank God.

Every year the company I work for takes about 300 employees to Disney for a recognition conference. It consists of a split between meetings and going on rides like the Rock “N Roll Coaster until Steven Tyler’s voice is too much to bare (Living on the edge of Janie’s whatever get me out!!).

There are a lot of perks about traveling with your fellow colleagues. One is that you get to meet people and make connections you haven’t before. Colleagues that may sit in a cubicle down the hall or are located across the country. It’s a place to meet new people in a company close to 10,000 employees.

Another perk is that you have a planned itinerary. For once ladies, mothers, friends, type-A masterminds like myself, you don’t have to worry about what you’re going to be doing for every hour of the day because Corporate Promotions has already planned it. If you really want to you can schedule your “free time” of a designated 1-hour (60 minutes), but for the most part you just have to show up and enjoy yourself.

That’s nice. I like it.

The last noted perk and usually most important is the food. The fabulous food that will be a special design and ordered to your liking. Right? But what if you’re the only vegan in a count full of 300?

And that’s when anxiety sets in…

“Ok,  well it’s Disney so they must be able to accommodate vegans. That’s a plus. And I did check the little vegan box when we registered. AND I did walk over to the AVP of Promotions with a smile on my face reminding her that BabyCakes NYC is now in Downtown Disney. I’m good. I’m good. I wonder if there are other vegans going? More importantly, I wonder if I should fill my suitcase with Vegan Larabars and Late July Crackers to prevent a week of resorting to the oh so dreadful “Trail Mix” diet?”

Fear not, the trip has been wonderful so far. Here are some of the latest things to share.
A+ for Peeled to the Core Snacks
Registered at the hotel and then talked with Chef Carlos to get this whipped up. I had people around me asking "Where did you get that?"  


If you can't act like a kid at Disney, when you really act like a kid? Jumping on the BED!

I also got kidnapped by the pool for a little while…

 Night conference events are about to begin. I'll keep you updated!

Thanks, 
Danie

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! Looks like it's going to be a blast! You deserve it !! Have an awesome time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Diet Taps into Innovative Idea to Help Dieters LOSE 15 Pounds within Only 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete