Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Vegan at Disney: Food Service

The conference has been wonderful. In the past two days we’ve had a session with the Executive team, a team-building activity, a community service activity that involved building bookcases for non-profits for literacy. One selected organization highlighted adult literacy which I was super happy about!

And in the midst of meeting all of these new and wonderful people that I work with, I have also had time to enjoy the parks, revive my love for roller coasters and hatred for scary rides. 

The one thing that I would love to highlight, since food can really make an experience special, is the food service. Particularly the care and concern I have seen from the chefs. It may be undeniable, but the good thing about good chefs is that they produce excellent food. (Positive + Positive = Super Positive, right?)

There’s something about the way Disney chefs and hospitality have gone out of their way to cater to my needs. Now, to be honest, I really thought it was going to be the standard “We have one vegan dish and that’s what you get.” But my experience at this conference has actually been completely opposite.

Chef Carlos at my Sunday lunch, talked with me about food options and I went, “Oh, well what do you have available? Anything is great…” He laughed at me and said, “No,  ‘not what do I have available’, what do you want?”

The second was Chef Orlando at Dinoland, who introduced polenta into my diet, teriyaki tofu and grilled veggies. It was fabulous.

Another chef, that I did not meet, made the most wonderful black bean cakes, rice and asparagus.

I like to tell the chefs “Anything you want to make me with those foods is great.” And I end up with a masterpiece. A true vegan food dynasty.

Delicious.

Tonight the 300 employees from my company that have traveled from across the world to be here will have the privilege to get exclusive rights to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter Theme Park at Universal. Stay tuned!




Thanks, 
Danie


Ps - The only thing I would change is the wireless internet service. It's so slow, I have a ton of pictures to share with you all. I just got so frustrated that I made the executive decision to wait until I get back for all the sharing (unless I can figure it out before of course). 

No comments:

Post a Comment