Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Literacy, Learner's Rights & Vegan New Year’s Resolutions


I believe strongly in the written word. I believe that everyone has the right to learn how to read and write regardless of age, or race or social status. I believe that literacy skills help our communities and our kids. That literacy has the ability to change lives. That help should be confidential and free for adults. So I give my time to Literacy Volunteers of Greater Saco-Biddeford


I’m posting these adult Learner's Rights because it’s the season of resolutions. The time where we assess our current state of being and think of the upcoming year in hopeful terms: “Yes I will master that pie crust” or “I will stop eating so many carob chips” or “I will try to give a compliment to my mother-in-law every time I see her regardless of her innate ability to criticize my every move…” You know what I mean, whatever you decide you need to improve for the upcoming year becomes a resolution.

These Learner's Rights apply to more then just learning how to read and write. They can apply to any new thing that you decide to take on, like let's say, learning to be vegan

You need to learn how to be vegan and guess what? It can be hard and it can take time. But like these basic rights listed above remind us is that you may fail one day, you may falter, but you have the right to make mistakes. You have the right to not compare yourself to others. You have the right to learn at your own pace. 

The point of these Learner's Rights is that you have the right to learn something new. Fast or slow, tomorrow or next year, if you keep steadfast and strong with your eye fixed on the broccoli, you will succeed.

So choose your New Year’s Resolutions wisely and with confidence. But most importantly remember that we’re all students and each opportunity to learn is an opportunity to grow.

Thanks, 
Danie


No comments:

Post a Comment