Sunday, November 21, 2010

So Thankful: Guest Blogger - Ali

Last year at this time I was one month into home-ownership, was "knee deep in alligators" (as my father would say) with learning the ins and outs of what to do when your sump pump fails in the basement during a monsoon-like rain storm, what to do when a 70-foot evergreen tree does a 10-point landing across your entire backyard during aforementioned monsoon-like rain storm, and what to do when chunks of horsehair plaster wall come off with the 90-year old wallpaper that you're stripping in preparation of bringing your walls into the 21st century.

Somewhere in between all the excitement of buying my first house solo, the whirlwind of renovation frenzy and late night painting after I got home from the office, I got the bright idea of hosting Thanksgiving at my house. My mom has her culinary arts degree and is a phenomenal cook; I had big shoes to fill. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it centers on togetherness and reflection as well as an all-day eating affair. My first Thanksgiving was a success -- even though I got a late start cooking because I overslept, and dropped an entire pan of Brussels sprouts on the floor.

I was able to celebrate the hard work my family and I had done to the house, gather my family around an antique table in my dining room, and start to compile my own holiday memories and traditions.

One year later, I cannot believe how fast time flies and how truly blessed I am. I am thankful. For my parents who have sacrificed so much to raise my sister and me. Thankful for my beautiful sister, who shares my same sense of humor, love of Sephora and appreciation of rap music. Thankful for my furry little kittens who always seem to know when I need to cuddle. Thankful for music so gorgeous it makes me cry when I sing along, thankful for books and fashion magazines. Thankful for Miss Danielle, who puts up with me at the office, and still wants to hang out with me even though I have incessantly pestered her about going dancing for a good two years.

As we enter into the holiday season, I am honoring the year that has passed, looking forward to spending time with the amazing people in my life and remembering just how lucky and fortunate I am.

Happy Thanksgiving!!


XO, 
Ali

1 comment:

  1. I've just downloaded iStripper, so I can have the sexiest virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete